Save this to your phones or computer and post it on other websites like twitter too!
Why would you NOT reblog this?
I’m sick of people saying Snape was the worst friendzone ever. They weren’t friends anymore. He was hanging around death eaters and was dabbling in dark arts. The friendship wasn’t healthy anymore.
That doesn’t make it unhealthy… He was being tortured by her boyfriend and his friends and he couldn’t take it anymore so he found people who liked him the way he was. She dumped him as a friend, not the other way around. He called her mudblood, but it was pretty obvious he attempted to apologize and make up for it. SHE DATED A BULLY OVER A GUY WHO JUST WANTED A FRIEND.
First off, “her boyfriend” is inaccurate: when Lily ended her friendship with Snape, she wasn’t dating James. The friendship ended towards the end of their fifth year (“Snape’s Worst Memory” depicts OWLs), while Lily and James didn’t begin dating until their seventh year (canonically, after James had “deflated his head” and begun maturing.)* Lily wasn’t friends with the Marauders at this point. And, as for “he found people who liked him the way he was” - he was already friends with Lily. And…if the “way he was” includes an interest in the Dark Arts and hexing people, then perhaps Snape needed to actually revise who he was instead of finding people who encouraged that? Lily tries to talk to him about this, but he clearly doesn’t listen (see the moment where he turns off as soon as she agrees about disparaging James.)
Secondly, by their fifth year, the Snape/Lily friendship was toxic and unhealthy. Snape was growing more heavily involved in the Dark Arts and with people who were basically proto-Death Eaters (Rosier, Mulciber, etc.) These are people who are devoted to spewing what is the Wizarding world’s equivalent of racist rhetoric - the people who advocate murder and genocide of Lily and people like her. She dumped him as a friend because he called her Mudblood, but it wasn’t simply because of that - it’s clearly the last straw in a long line of issues Lily has been having with Snape (between Snape condoning what Mulciber did to Mary MacDonald - harmful Dark Magic that Snape dismisses as a prank; Snape calling other Muggle-borns “Mudblood” and using the same rhetoric as his friends; Snape using Dark Magic himself, which Lily abhors.)
Lily’s “I can’t pretend any more” shows that this, and things like this, have been an ongoing issue:
I’ve made excuses for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you. You and your precious little Death Eater friends – you see, you don’t even deny it! You don’t even deny that’s what you’re all aiming to be! You can’t wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?
Emphasis there on years. Lily has spent years trying to ignore what she knows about Snape, trying to overlook the things he’s said and done, and this - calling her a slur to her face - is a moment of awakening. It’s the point where Lily simply can’t ignore that Snape has become a person who’s no longer her friend - “You’ve chosen your way; I’ve chosen mine.” That James Potter, who she hates, was willing to defend her while Snape called her a slur and said he didn’t need help from someone like her: it’s not a one-off incident, it’s simply the breaking point.
At that point, apologizing for using the slur isn’t enough, especially when it’s clear that Snape isn’t cognizant of everything else he’s done, or particularly repentant of the other actions he’s done - and his apology isn’t an effort or a promise to change. (Also, Lily doesn’t owe him forgiveness; implying that Lily owes him forgiveness is treading very close to that whole “Lily friendzoned him! Lily was obligated to forgive him! Lily was obligated to fall in love with him!” argument, which is in and of itself complete and utter tripe.)
*whether and how much James improved will hopefully be expanded upon by Pottermore - on one hand, we know that the bullying continued; OTOH, per Sirius, Lily was explicitly not aware of this - cf. the “he didn’t exactly take Snape along with them on dates and hex him,” comments, among others.) And the “Elvendork! It’s unisex!” story shows someone who’s still immature, and James didn’t have a lot of time in which to mature and grow before his death. But then we also have the James who was loyal to his friends, willing to join the Order and fight and who stood up to Voldemort personally three times; who willingly laid down his life for his wife and infant, wandless, in the hopes of buying them a few moments to escape; who, per JKR and per the text, became a better person. But this isn’t about James and Lily, because at the point where Lily ends the friendship between her and Snape, she clearly still loathes James - she’s calling him an “arrogant bullying little toerag” at the same time she’s ending the friendship with Snape. This isn’t about Lily choosing James over Snape - it’s about Lily choosing to walk away from Snape. James wasn’t in the picture.
And Lily had every right to end that friendship. Lily didn’t choose “a bully over a guy who just wanted a friend” - she chose someone who actually respected her over someone who called her the equivalent of a racial slur and who joined an organization devoted to the murder of people like her. Look at their later actions: James loved Lily and gave his life trying to give her a chance to escape. Snape, despite professing love for Lily, would have been willing to let Lily’s child die if it meant that she could be saved. Is that considerate of Lily’s feelings or Lily herself? No - that’s treating Lily like an object - it’s obsession, not love.
(And, actually, at this point in fifth year, Lily doesn’t choose either of them - she chooses to walk away from an unhealthy friendship with Snape, and she chooses to ignore James until she sees that he’s changed. So there’s that. And…to suggest that Lily had to pick Snape or that she should have chosen him…no. Snape didn’t respect her. Snape became a full-fledged Death Eater who believed in the cause after graduation. Snape didn’t care about what Lily wanted - he cared about wanting Lily. (“You do not care, then, about the deaths of her husband and child? They can die, as long as you have what you want?” The answer to that is an obvious, emphatic yes - Snape would have been totally fine with letting Harry die had he been able to secure Lily’s safety. Dumbledore’s “You disgust me” is there for a reason.)
Also, the entire term “friendzone” is complete and utter bullshit, implying that Lily owed Snape romantic love and sex because he befriended her, but that could be another post entirely. (Nobody owes anyone else romantic love/sex because of friendship, people are not some magic vending machine you put friendship coins into until sex comes out, and Lily’s friendship is not some crappy second-place prize. Lily is not a prize. People are not prizes. That is all.)
Walnutport Canal at dusk
It’s that time again! :-) I’m happy to announce my 2nd tumblr giveaway, featuring cool new prizes as well as some old faves. This time I’m organizing it through rafflecopter, so be sure to pay extra attention to the rules!
1) This is a thank you present for my followers, so yes, you must be following me (don’t worry, if u can rough it through the patriarchy u will survive my selfies Be Strong My Sisters).
2) New followers are welcome and appreciated, but for the love of bell hooks do not follow only with the intention of unfollowing later. People put their time, money, and energy into giveaways, it’s dishonest and rude af to do that look at ur life look at ur choices
3) Likes do count, but I strongly suggest that you reblog too, at least once. (You must like or reblog this post at least once to enter! I’ll be checking.) SUPER IMPORTANT LIKE BEYONCE-LEVEL IMPORTANT: Be sure to record every entry on rafflecopter, that’s the only way it’s guaranteed to be seen, because that’s what I’ll be using to pick the winner since tumblr is notorious for eating notes on giveaway posts!
4) I will ship anywhere ‘cept Narnia and Nightvale u live in Siberia u live in Nebraska whatever that’s fine u’ll get ur shit *gently dabs your forehead with a damp towel*
5) There are loads of ways to get extra entries and most of them aren’t even that annoying, check it out on rafflecopter just do it u kno u want these goodies.
6) No reblogging to giveaway blogs it’s cheating and u know it *peeps at u over my rad shades*
7) Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on September 20th. Stuff will be sent out sometime in the few weeks after that calm down friend you’re waiting for some cutesy bracelets not the third season of Orange Is The New Black
* Your choice of up to 5 feminist books (pictured).
Yes folks a few of these are thrifted but none of them look like they were the property of the Half-Blood Prince don’t be a hater u capitalist pig
It’s not pictured, but I also have a copy of Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine up for grabs! * Your choice of 3 buttons from my shop, hella awesome.
* Your choice of 3 bracelets - a full list isn’t available yet
because I’m visiting family and I stupidly forgot to take pictures before I left, but samples are above. Examples include: Feminist, Riot Grrrl, Khaleesi, Queen, Mermaid, etc. More pics will be posted later don’t panic these bracelets are cute as hell
* Your choice of 5 (individual) stickers from my shop - not all of the designs are officially up for sale yet, but you can still choose those designs!
* One pack of 4 Superhero Buttons ft Supergirl and Wonder Woman
* Your choice of one “No Uterus, No Opinion”, Powerpuff Girls, or “I heart Me
* One Wonder Woman Keychain
* One custom mixed CD of “girl power” songs (playlist is a surprise!)
Your choice of the following -
* One book and 3 stickers
* 3 stickers, 1 bracelet, 1 button
* 2 buttons, 1 bracelet
* A bracelet, button, or 3 stickers of your choice
Okay that should do it, stay tuned for additional info and possible additional prizes in the coming weeks!
omfg reblogging till the end of time
As some of you may know, I broke 100 followers about a month ago. I’ve been saving up ever since then, and through much finagling, I have finally put together a giveaway I think is good enough for you guys!
Samconbeat’s 100 follower giveaway!
I am quite a tea fan. I just can’t get enough of the stuff, and the tea shop I work for, Our Daily Brew, is hands down my absolute favorite. THey are known for their over 150 different kinds of loose leaf tea, 90 of which they blend themselves! I am very proud of their products, and I want to share them all with you! They don’t just do tea, however. They have an amazing selection of over 65 different coffees, an enormous amount of Torani flavored syrups, hot coco, pre-packaged loose leaf tea and even bagged teas!
1st Prize is a one-time use $100 gift code redeemable at Ourdailybrew.com! The code is good on literally anything on the website and shipping is free!
2nd Prize is a $50 gift code redeemable at Ourdailybrew.com! The same rules apply, and shipping is still free!
Pretty cool huh? It gets cooler!
100 lucky runners up will receive a free ounce of tea of their choice! Unfortunately shipping isn’t free in this case, but hey; Free tea! This prize will come in the form of a 1 time redeemable code as well.
And if that wasn’t enough, every single person who see’s this giveaway post will receive a 10% off your total purchase code, usable *indefinitely* on anything at OurDailybrew.com!
When it ends:
August 3rd, 2014 at 12:01pm Eastern Time Zone(UTC: 05:00)
How it works:
- All you have to do is reblog this post. Thats it! You don’t even have to follow me!
- You can reblog as many times as you want! Every reblog counts as another entry, but be kind to your followers and at least tag each reblog as #ODBgiveaway to save them some headache…
- Likes do not count as an entry, but they don’t hurt either!
- I don’t need your address, your selection of tea, nothing! You do all that on the ODB website and use your code at checkout to get your free goodies!
- The winners will be chosen via MiniWebTool’s Random name picker.
- If you win, I will send you the code via tumblr askbox, so make sure it’s open! Please be patient as I can only send 10 codes per hour due to Tumblr’s ask limits. It’ll take me a minimum of 11 hours to get all the codes sent.
- This is an international giveaway! Anyone in the world can participate!
- There is no minimum age required for this giveaway!
- I will post a complete list of all the winners August 3rd, so you’ll know if you won even it takes me a bit to get you your code!
- The 10% off coupon code is good for every purchase indefinitely! Anyone can use it at any time on as many purchases as they want!
And to finish things off, here is the coupon code I promised!:
Be sure to type the code exactly as shown at checkout for your 10% discount!
Thank you all so much for following my mishmash of a blog, and for generally being pretty awesome. I hope this adequately shows how much I appreciate each and every one of you! Oh, and be sure to check out Our Daily Brew on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for all kinds of cool stuff!
EDIT: (7/16/2014) Tumblr in no way endorses or otherwise involved in anyway with this giveaway.
We’re down to the last week ladies and gentleman!
I have some news, however:
1. If the giveaway does not reach enough unique reblogs to giveaway all of my prizes, then the giveaway will be extended by one week. That means the giveaway will end on August 10th, 2014. This will only be enacted if I don’t have enough unique reblogs to hand out all our prizes.
2. Remember that likes do not count as entries, but every reblog does count, even if you’ve reblogged 100 times! Your name will be entered in the drawing all the times you’ve reblogged, increasing your chances to win.
3. You can only win 1 prize. Even if you entered your name 102 times, you can only win 1 prize.
4. Our Daily Brew is now going to carry the entire line of “The Republic of Tea” tea’s. More goodies to spend your winnings on!
5. Future giveaways rely on your participation. My bosses have made it clear that if this giveaway does well and attracts a lot of attention, they will start doing regular giveaways on their own tumblr(which they’re working on). So yes, if you’d like to see more tea, coffee and hot chocolate giveaways; reblog! and get a chance to win some goodies now!
Thank you everyone who’s participated so far and all the people who’s signal boosted this along the way. It took a lot of work to make this giveaway happen, but you’re all worth it; hands down!
I maintain that this is one of the most beautiful, haunting songs I have ever heard… and yet I hardly see anyone singing the praises of Billy Boyd. So here is an appreciation post for him. You have a lovely voice, sir.
EDIT: I’ve learned from many of you since posting this that Mr. Boyd actually wrote the melody to this song himself. One more reason to appreciate his amazing talent! Thank you to those who taught me something new. ^_^
Well, i’m crying.
noooo i canttttt
Cleaned up an old doodle a bit.
I’ve been pretty lazy about posting on here lately, but I’ll try to catch up soon. These are from Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.